Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
South Korean navy ship 'sinking near North'

could turn out pretty ugly?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/8589507.stm

A South Korean navy ship with about 100 personnel on board is sinking off the west coast near North Korea.

The exact cause of the sinking was unclear, but an explosion was reported in the rear of the ship.

There was speculation it could have been from a torpedo from the North. The involvement of North Korea has not been confirmed by officials.

More than 50 of the sailors were rescued from near Baengnyeong island by several navy and coastguard vessels.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who has convened an emergency meeting of security officials, had ordered the military to focus on rescuing the sailors, Yonhap news agency reported.

The police force was put on heightened alert in the capital, Seoul.

The 1,200-tonne ship began sinking about 2130 local time (1230 GMT), after an explosion, Yonhap said.

The South Korean ministry of defence has not confirmed the reports of North Korean involvement.

There were reports that another South Korean ship had fired shots toward an unidentified ship in the North following the alleged torpedo attack.

One report, quoting the joint chiefs of staff, said the target turned out to be a flock of birds.

The apparent clash comes at a time of tension between the two Koreas. International talks aimed at ending the communist nation's nuclear ambitions have been stalled for months.

Economic ties between the neighbours have also faltered, with ongoing rows over both cross-border tourism and a joint economic zone at Kaesong.

The disputed sea boundary itself has seen numerous incidents, most recently in January and February.

In January, North Korea fired artillery into the sea near the disputed maritime border, as part of a "military drill". South Korea returned fire, but no injuries were reported.

The following month, North Korea declared four areas near the sea border to be naval firing zones, according to the South Korean military, and deployed multiple rocket launchers close to the frontier.

Deadly naval clashes happened in 1999 and in 2002 and the latest in November 2009 when a fire fight left a North Korean patrol boat in flames and one person dead.

The South Korean vessel alleged that the North Korean vessel had crossed the disputed sea border - a charge North Korea denied.

South Korea recognises the Northern Limit Line, drawn unilaterally by the US-led United Nations Command to demarcate the sea border at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War. The line has never been accepted by North Korea.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

This is just days after North Korea threatened to launch a nuke attack against South Korea and the United States.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

I really hope that it wasen't North Korea.. I don't want any more wars..

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM
RedrumSalad is offline RedrumSalad
"dalasmurdeR"

yeah, if this s*** does lead to a war, we are screwed, no way america can fight 2 wars

Some say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire, well I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once, thats how i do it, thats how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

"Heroes are remembered, but legends never die" - The Sandlot

Whatever doesn't kill you hurts like a bitch.

R.I.P Murphy
September 10, 1995 - April 21, 2010
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Xx_jet_xX is offline Xx_jet_xX

Send a message via Yahoo to Xx_jet_xX
Why would we get involved in Korea again if they go at it. its nothing to us.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrumSalad View Post
yeah, if this s*** does lead to a war, we are screwed, no way america can fight 2 wars
Afghanistan and Iraq are two different wars. Not to mention the US has tons of troops serving in South Korea, Kosovo and Bosnia still.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:57 AM
"dalasmurdeR"

Oh, well, nvm, lol

And jet, did you not read bustins post? They threatened to nuke the u.s

Some say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire, well I say the best weapon is the one you only have to fire once, thats how i do it, thats how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

R.I.P Murphy

Last edited by RedrumSalad; 03-28-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

they threaten to destroy everything outside of north korea every day, dont worry too much
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM

Until they try nuking the US whats going on over there is between N Korea and S korea. Also they wont attempt a nuke strike because they know that as soon as the nuke reaches US airspace the imediate retaliation will make all of N Korea a smouldering pile of rubble well before our defenses takes out there nuke thats enroute.

Sorry but I dont fear that pisspot dictator. hes all bark and no bite.

WTF-Squad

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. -George Carlin
Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
ShadowZ is offline ShadowZ
Chick Magnet(?)

They sure as hell better not Nuke Hawaii... couldn't really care much for California though...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowZ View Post
They sure as hell better not Nuke Hawaii... couldn't really care much for California though...
with Nancy P!
all she has to do on her own! open her mouth!
1/2 of California be a wasteland

subject of the thread:
i think we all (Country's in it) need to pullout of Korea and let them two go at it totally.
50+ years of peace talk and no then is set!
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx_jet_xX View Post
whats going on over there is between N Korea and S korea.
are you saying it should be between them, or that the US would never get involved in another country's business??
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

The US does really need to learn to stay out of everyones business, but more than half the time it's other countires asking us to interviene.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...16-korea_N.htm

Iran and Iraq are the recent exceptions

But this new cyberwar between China and the US really erks me. The US and it's companies just need to STFU and allow China to do whatever they want with their internet.

Last edited by Scott; 03-29-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

I think that what a lot of people do not understand is that larger more stable countries must try to help everyone even if they are not asked at first. China has some insane laws that are way behind times.

Broad scale concerns are that the younger populations in China which are making up a bigger portion of the population are going to cause civil unrest if things continue with the rights violations. Imagine a country with a billion plus people at civil war and the massive amounts of refugees that could lead to?

Steve can attest to the issues the UK has with immigration, imagine half a billion chinese refugees trying to escape china and flooding into Europe and North America?

I don't think that one country trying to convince another country to step out of the "dark" ages is such a bad thing.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Imagine in 50 years, when China becomes the super power the US is now. What if they wanted to press their laws and values on us? Because they are the super power, their laws and values are all the sudden the gold standard? They may have some insane laws, but what gives us the right to dictate the way their country is run? They didn't make it this far listening to the USA.

I really do believe in a democracy for every country but I think it should be up to the citizens. If China really wanted a democracy like the western world has they are only one revolution away. With the amount of citizens that country has it would probably only last a year. There would be death, and lots of it, but that's the way everyone else did it.

There's no harm in suggestion, but when they say **** off then we should just **** off...

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
"dalasmurdeR"

well, maybe its cuz of the s*** load of death that will happen IF they rebel that is keeping them from rebelling

R.I.P Murphy
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 PM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I really do believe in a democracy for every country but I think it should be up to the citizens. If China really wanted a democracy like the western world has they are only one revolution away. With the amount of citizens that country has it would probably only last a year. There would be death, and lots of it, but that's the way everyone else did it.

There's no harm in suggestion, but when they say **** off then we should just **** off...
Couldn't agree more, but these days it seems that letting a country fight its arguments out is a terrible thing. Instead, our countries would rather get involved, causing a war and probably more casualties than if they were left to it. At the end of the day, one person (or country in this situation) does not have the right to tell another what they should or shouldn't do. Like Scott said, its up to the citizens of that country as a majority to decide how they are run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
are you saying it should be between them, or that the US would never get involved in another country's business??
Should be between them and I wont stand behind any politician that says we should get involved if they go at it aside from sending medical supplies and food to S Korea. otherwise let them fight it out like 2 siblings.

Personaly i could care less what they do to each other and if at the end of it all there maybe 10 people left alive... Oh well they wanted that, if not then they would have made peace when the war treaty was signed.

I also dont believe in going in and saving third world countries when its there own government killing them. yes thats a hard ass stance but what would they do for any 1rst world country who gets in a bad predicimant? loot them or sell drugs in those countries and take advantage is what they would do. let em kill each other off and send in an international cleanup crew and make it a vacation spot.

WTF-Squad

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
.Simon. is offline .Simon.

I know we're kind of going off topic, but what you were saying about 3rd world countries..

They need to find their own way, you can't drag them into the 21st century if they aren't ready. It can only do more harm than good. Im all for giving them the opportunities and resources to help themselves, but they have to do exactly that; help themselves.

Quote:
next person to post half naked gets banned
Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

Having seen suffering first hand I have to say that I believe the public is in the dark because of our "free press" media. Not that I think the media should be censored at all...I think the media system is terribly flawed and sways everything.

I perfectly understand letting a country work things out for themselves, but that's not always possible. Lets use Iran for an example. Iranian youth is becoming ever more vigilant and open to the way the world works outside of their country. As soon as the young people in that country attempt to collect and voice their opinions Iran's president orders the internet shut down completely. Cell phone services shut down completely and declares death orders on "activists".

It's not the 1700's anymore where people could pass notes at bars and hold secret meetings. With military strength some of these countries possess I have to totally disagree with the idea that the United States should not attempt to help. I'm off to war this coming summer, I have two son's both under 2 years of age. Maybe I'm biased because I am serving and putting my life on the line, but after seeing/living life outside of "free" countries I could not begin to fathom the consequences if the US, UK and other European leaders went in to Isolationism.