Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 AM
black hawk is offline black hawk

FEAR patch would not update.

the readme file in FEAR, tells me that the game is an English version, (North America was not written, so presumably UK version), so i downloaded a patch of at least 300 mb (uk version) and when it finally opens up, it says FEAR is not installed, whereas the game is installed on my "D drive". Now if this game doesn't update to this 1.07 version, then i will never be able to install its expansion pack that i want to play. Please help me guys.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 AM

Another thing that i forgot to mention, my copy of the expansion pack is the US Version, and when it tries to update my game while installing, it too throws the same error. So, it seems that none of the version wants to update my game.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 AM

Ok, can just someone confirm which version of my game it is:US or UK. On the Internet, the english version shows both US and UK versions but they are so huge updates that would tax my internet usage cap.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:55 AM

ok, i solved the problem. After so many days searching on the internet for a patch that would install, none of the patch seemed to work. So I thought of copying an updated .exe , or maybe it was a crack. This FEAR.exe was of version 1.7, and I replaced it with my retail version. Guess what, after doing this, I ran Extraction point setup, and it worked.Hell, I am even playing it finally. So much for just a patch.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

1. I think the original patch you tried was looking in the default install location for the game.

2. The program looks in the root drive (path) for installations.

Some lazy programmers use these "blind" methods and because you installed to a partition or drive that was not in your path the script failed.

Putting drive D: in your path can help to prevent program default errors of this kind.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
1. I think the original patch you tried was looking in the default install location for the game.

2. The program looks in the root drive (path) for installations.

Some lazy programmers use these "blind" methods and because you installed to a partition or drive that was not in your path the script failed.

Putting drive D: in your path can help to prevent program default errors of this kind.
It might have been, but here's what happened. Extraction point setup looked in c drive, and threw an error, that it did not find fear, asked me to locate it manually,which i did, and started updating, during which it threw the famous error 'Fear is not installed'. So, i did in fact again installed it in c drive, but the same crap came up. Stubborn as it was, just a small crack did the work for me, though.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Hellfighter is offline Hellfighter
Chief ADFP

Send a message via ICQ to Hellfighter
were did you get the game from?
to install? download install or off a disc DVD/ Cd

was it a download version of the game like stream, gamefly.com or a local story got it on a disc

stream.com games can be picky on updates
*Discord: Unknown77#7121
Playing now days: EA Games> swtor [star wars old republic]
Old 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Steaming updates that is
Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Both of these games were not mine, both bought from different people, here in India, FEAR is there, but you have to find it like a crazy man, and the expansions are almost never seen even in the best shops\outlets. Internet connection ain't as fast here for some people(like me) to download such big games, so those websites are out of the question. However, what i don't understand is that why do they create these american and uk versions of the same game. What's the difference? Remember that Punisher game i talked about, it also seems to be having some problem like that.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Why do they do it with version software?

It's marketing by country code. Keying in to public interest and perception.

Exploits the marketeers engage in can include the offloading of superseded and/or inferior products in a particular region because of various contrived caveats proclaiming consumer affordability as a main concern but when collated to product mark up vs profit, the bottom line is $$$.

It's a particular angle that works for economies to increase sales volume over time.
Also helps with the disposal of excesses in product trends and clears warehouses.

They figured this all out a long time ago.

There's more to it than software alone. Once I tried to inquire about hiring a server through an American hosting service called **** (it's one that hosts DFX2).

I'd like to use it's services but I'm totally blocked from the site because of regional content or trade restrictions/agreements between Australia and the US.

Last edited by Guest001; 04-08-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: UGS Online In Australia Now